The holidays are about joy. As the temperature drops, we reconnect with family, friends, and the magic of giving. It’s a time for tradition and storytelling, parties and peace, when life slows down and we all feel like kids again.
Unfortunately, the holiday season also presents unique fire hazards. Use these tips, adapted from the American Red Cross, to keep your home safe from fire this holiday season.
- Keep trees, candles, and other decorations at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, vents, heaters, radiators, and appliances.
- If purchasing a real tree, make sure it’s green and moist, with sturdy needles. Water it often. Ensure that artificial trees are flame retardant.
- Never use frayed electrical cords or light strings.
- Always blow out candles and unplug lights, decorations, and appliances before going to bed. Designate one person to make sure all candles, lights, etc. are out.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree.
- Use sturdy tree stands. Keep pets and very young kids away from trees.
- As always, keep flammable objects away from the stovetop.
- Got smoke alarms on every level of your home? Test them, replace batteries if necessary, and make sure your family knows what to do in case of fire.
Stay tuned for more tips to keep your South Carolina home safe from fire this holiday season. We at Catastrophe Services wish your family safe and happy holidays.